Thursday, December 3, 2009

Done with the Me Monster



Tonight I realized what really makes me happy and why I have been so unhappy recently.

It was a small thing really. My roommate invited me to hand out condoms for AIDS awareness week.

Yes, I'm Mormon and I handed out condoms. If you'd like to debate that then you can talk to me personally or leave a comment under this post and I'll comment back.

But what happened to me tonight was fantastic. There were only five of us, armed with shirts, red ribbons, and condoms. But we were able to hand out hundreds of protection in less than an hour. It made me realize what good even one person can do.

And...it ignited the feeling of happiness I get when I serve. So, I then decided to transfer these feelings to a cause I feel very strong about. Homelessness and hunger. I realized that there are a lot of ways you can volunteer to help the homeless in the Vermont area. I also realized that I felt genuinely happy for the first time in a long time tonight.

Call me a freak. That's okay. I'm proud to say that it's true when they say that if you're unhappy then you should serve. If everyone could feel this way all the time there wouldn't be so many selfish problems in society.

Below is a great link to some things you can do in Vermont to help COTS. Please look up ways you can volunteer in your community and do something nice for someone this week. Please!

I love you all. To all my faithful readers...I wish you the best this Christmas and holiday season and I hope you can find it in your heart to give even if you yourself don't have a lot.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Condoms make good water balloons.

In the life of DREW said...

I love condoms and this post! Service is where it's at for me. I love doing it and always feel like I get more then I give every time I do it... service that is.

Thanks for the reminder and seasons greetings to you as well.