Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Blonde Technology

This photo is me. I am blonde. Do we have a bit of a reputation of being less than intelligent creatures? Yes. Now to my rant. Just because I am blonde does not mean that I am not understanding your technology properly.

I grew up with technology. My father and I even built a remote control car from scratch when I was a child. I picked up my first video camera before the age of 12, and have been what you would call "tech savvy" for most of my youth and adult life. I am not the one that can program your software, nor can I re-build your computer, however, I do expect to be taken seriously when I say a piece of software is NOT working properly.

Time and time again, if I mention to a male counterpart that something is broken...they look at me as if I'm just being a "dumb blonde" and rarely take me seriously. It isn't until the third time when it really isn't working that they finally believe me and fix said issue. This has happened to me in every job I've worked in.

You think I don't know how to Google a term to understand what you're talking about? I don't let technology take me over. We're supposed to be in control, not the other way around. If it doesn't work...I want it fixed. Otherwise, what is the point in using that program or equipment to begin with? Some could say the same about our government...but that's another post topic for a future time. 

No comments: