Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Manners


I was recently talking with someone about how no one has manners anymore. Furthermore, many men don't practice chivalry either.

This then made me think about where and how we lost the art of manners. I watched a news show recently which talked about eating disorders in Fiji. Apparently as soon as TV was introduced to Fiji anorexia skyrocketed from .1% to 11% (or something close to those numbers).

So is it possible that TV and the media are to blame?

I say no. Why don't I blame the media? Because I am a soul media fiend. I had a TV in my room most of my young life. Granted...I didn't have MTV until I was 12, but still...TV didn't teach me manners nor did it "un"-teach me manners.

My parents taught me manners. My mother really. And she would remind me constantly until it was instilled in my head that certain things you just don't do in public.

So...if you meet me, here are some things that I find annoying due to lack of manners.

Burping in public without saying excuse me.

Coughing in my face without covering your mouth.

Talking with your mouth full ( ;-p )

Walking into someone's house and acting as though it's yours when you're not particularly good friends.

Insulting yourself after someone had complimented you. (This isn't a big one but you should care enough about yourself to accept the compliment).

And the list does go on but I'll leave that to your parents to teach you.

Also, I really like pie.

The end.

No comments: