Saturday, July 25, 2009

What Do You Mean?



People are funny. So many people have things they want to say and never say them. Other people say too many things that no one wants to hear. Often people think they're being "honest" when they're really being rude. And some are truly being honest but they think they're being rude.

As I was walking home from the bus stop the other day I saw a bumper sticker that read
My Son Is In The US Army
I'm sorry, but what is that sticker saying? Is is supposed to be in the form of a question? Like a possible plea for release? Maybe it's sheer pride. My son is and your son isn't. Or, are they asking for pity? Maybe they're saying "please listen to me exclaim my sadness". Now please don't misunderstand this blog. I am not against the troops. I am not making a statement about the war in any way at all. I am not talking about politics. Just the way people express themselves.

Generally I like to be an honest person. But I also know when to keep my mouth shut as to not hurt someone's fragile, and possibly vain, feeling of oneself. Typically I will tell a girl that she has makeup smudged on her face, or, that her "scrunchie" makes her look like she walked out of an episode of Blossom. But if someone honestly believes that they look amazing, or are completely convinced to commit a stupid life decision, I shut down. I don't have the heart to tell them. I step back and decide that they will learn through life. And I listen to their comments and internally feel joy for the education I've received and the wisdom I have inherited.

No comments: