Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Democratic National Convention

Well my journey is finally over for the summer. Now it's time to get ready for school. But before I do I have to write about my meanderings at the convention.

Honestly it was some of the easiest and hardest work I've ever done. Hard because I was exhausted. I pulled 10-11 hour days and most of it involved the following...

Aug. 21st

12:00pm

Woke up and me my counterparts at the Pepsi Center. Security wasn't bad...there was no "perimeter" that I had to pass to get to the center.

We looked around at our workspace...crap. We were put inside a display with excersize bikes. We decided to make the best of it.

We ate lunch at Brauns. Brauns is where the Fox News Channel, Fox News Radio, & Foxnews.com were set up. We broadcast from Brauns and the Pepsi Center as well as Invesco on Thursday.

Aug. 22nd

I don't remember when I woke but all I do remember about this day was putting up banners. Lots and lots of banners.

Aug. 23rd

Oye! The fun begins! I woke early this day and got to the "perimiter" it was NUTS. There were protestors and security galore! I spent the day going in and out of the primeter getting affiliates and making sure they had credentials. Then I gave tours of the places they were broadcasting from.

Aug. 25th-Aug. 27th

My days started at noon at the Pepsi Center. Celebrities, delegates, and random guests filled the Pepsi Center. By day I was helping affiliates book guests. By night I was Alan Colmes bodyguard and runner. Ha. Over the course of these days I met Dennis Kucinich who I am proud to say is one of the nicest men I've ever met! Seriously!

I also got scorned by ted copple because he started to walk towards me and I was holding my camera. I think he thought I was going to take a picture of him...so he said "uh uh uh". I was not happy...but got over it pretty fast.

On Wednesday night we got booned, and given the finger by people who didn't like Fox News.

Aug. 27th

This is the day that Barack Obama spoke at Invesco. By this time NO ONE was in the Pepsi Center anymore except for Radio Row which is where all of the conservative talk shows were located. As you might have guess we weren't the punch of the party. I was extreamly bored and listened to Colmes entire radio show live that night. He used to be a stand up comedian and his show is actually pretty good. The reason I wrote the nasty anti-republican blog was because of all of the genius people who called in to Alan's show that night.

Aug. 28th

This was the day that nothing happened. I went into work at 12pm on Thursday (yesterday) and came in on Friday at 5am, although I was supposed to be there at 3am but I waited TWO HOURS for a cab that never came. I ended up taking an early bus.

By 11am the whole set was down and it was like we were never there. I wandered around downtown Denver until I could barely stand. I had been up for 27 hours. I finally got back to the place I was staying and went to sleep.

Aug. 29th

Flew back to Idaho. My computer screen got smashed when it fell over in my bag while I was waiting for a bus.


Conclusion...

I had a lot of fun. I learned a lot too. I felt really lonely at times. I realized I like to work in TV rather than radio. I met a lot of cool radio affiliates. I now know that Hillary's delegates got the shaft!

That's it...














Ted Copple



Roger from KOGO with the heavy weight champ!








No comments: